Parution: Russo (ed.) Prosodic Universals. Comparative Studies in Rhythmic Modeling and Rhythm Typology

Michela Russo michela.russo at UNIV-PARIS8.FR
Wed Nov 10 18:50:41 UTC 2010

http://store.aracneeditrice.com/it/libro_new.php?id=5175

Michela Russo (éd.) Prosodic Universals. Comparative Studies in Rhythmic
Modeling and Rhythm Typology. Rome : Aracne (“Biblioteca di linguistica”
dirigé par Massimo Arcangeli).
isbn 978-88-548-2710-3, format 14 x 21 cm, 300 pages, 24 euros

This book deals with Speech and Language Rhythm and the problems of
measuring it. What lies behind Rhythm? Are Speech Rhythm and Language
Rhythm (Typology) the same thing? It is theoretically unsatisfactory not
to see speech and language as related entities. So, we must assume that
what we find in the structure of speech is a(n imperfect) reflection of
(an ideal) language structure. Therefore, differences of rhythmic type
between languages should be auditorily apparent, quantitatively
demonstrable; and if rhythm is part of language, they should be relatable
to phonology. Unfortunately, auditory impressions are difficult to
communicate, and instrumental measures are notoriously unreliable
 What is
actually meant by ‘rhythm’ in different contexts is rarely specified in
any precise way, though one may assume that it is primarily an auditory
property. However, phonetic studies of rhythm have concentrated on
measurable properties, more specifically on durational properties of
speech. But, much as we use the word ‘rhythm’ when talking about the
measures, we cannot be sure that what we are actually capturing is
rhythmically relevant

Table des matières

Michela Russo
Introduction

William J. Barry and Bistra Andreeva
Losing the trees in the wood? Reflections on the measurement of
spoken-language rhythm

Pier Marco Bertinetto and Chiara Bertini
Towards a unified predictive model of Natural Language Rhythm

Antonio Romano and Paolo Mairano
Speech rhythm measuring and modelling: pointing out multi-layer and
multi-parameter assessments

Petra Wagner
A Time-delay Approach to Speech Rhythm Visualisation, Modeling and
Measurement

Elinor Payne, Brechtje Post, Lluïsa Astruc, Pilar Prieto and Maria del Mar
Vanrell
Rhythmic modification in Child Directed Speech

Michela Russo and William John Barry
Il Pairwise Variability Index (PVI e PVIs): valori ritmici per i dialetti
italiani e per l’italiano regionale. Implicazioni tipologiche

Antonio Pamies Bertrán
Quelques malentendus à propos du concept de rhythme en linguistique

Haike Jacobs
Quantity-Insensitive Stress and the Need for OT with Candidate Chains

--
Michela RUSSO
UFR Sciences du Langage