Conf érence d'OrinPercus, Paris, 8 novembre 2010

AROUI Jean-Louis aroui at UNIV-PARIS8.FR
Thu Oct 28 17:44:22 UTC 2010

L'UMR 7023 a le plaisir de vous convier, dans le cadre des séances de son
séminaire (http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/-Seminaire-de-l-UMR-7023,50-.html),

le lundi 8 novembre 2010
10h00-12h00,
C.N.R.S., 59 rue Pouchet, 75017 Paris (métros : Guy Moquet ou Brochant, ligne
13),  salle de conférences (rez-de-chaussée)

à une conférence de Orin Percus (Université de Nantes, LLING EA 3827)

intitulée

« The syntax of de re »

Résumé :
Common assumptions about semantic values and semantic composition force us to
say that, even for simple belief reports like “John thinks that Mary is
French”, the syntax of the sentence is not what it appears to be on the
surface.  Percus and Sauerland (2003) suggest that the differences are not
drastic, however: the constituent structure is basically as we would
otherwise imagine, and there are just a few additional unpronounced elements
here and there.  In this talk, I will review the arguments that there is
a “syntax of de re,” and I will detail and elaborate on the Percus and
Sauerland proposal.  I will mention some further conclusions that the
proposal leads to and some (primarily syntactic) issues that arise.  I will
point to some connections to other kinds of attitude reports, including some
without embedded clauses.

--
Jean-Louis AROUI
Université Paris 8