SEM 29 avril

Agnès Celle agnes.celle at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR
Tue Apr 5 06:50:35 UTC 2011

Jonathan Ginzburg (Paris-Diderot, CLILLAC-ARP) donnera une conférence
le vendredi 29 avril à 14h à l'UFR d'Etudes anglophones, 8-10 rue
Charles V, salle C28:

A Theory of Relevance for Questions

  Relevance in the sense of *conversational coherence* is the most
fundamental notion for research on dialogue. It is the cornerstone of
theories of dialogue in the same way that *grammaticality* is to
syntax.  In this paper I restrict attention to relevance relating a
query to a possible (felicitous) response.
Still, even restricted to this domain, attempts at a comprehensive
characterization of relevance, difficult as they undoubtedly are, are
few and far between. Indeed, most existing accounts are intrinsically
restricted in their ability to scale up.
I offer a number of arguments for the need for a notion of relevance
 internalized in some way within the theory of meaning: relevance
seems to underpin certain types of clarification questions and *lack
of conversational relevance seems to underpin the inference that one
does not wish to address a prior utterance, as pointed out in Grice's
classical   paper (Grice, 1975).  I sketch an   account of relevance
within the dialogue theory KoS (Ginzburg, 2009, forthcoming),
underpinned by Type Theory with Records (Cooper, 2005) and offer
preliminary results of a corpus study in this domain.

Les séminaires de recherche de CLILLAC-ARP sont ouverts à tous.

Cordialement

Agnès CELLE
CLILLAC-ARP EA 3967
UFR d'Etudes anglophones