Conference E. Palancar, Complementation and nominalization in Otomi

Anaid Donabedian adonabedian at INALCO.FR
Sat Jan 15 20:55:55 UTC 2011

Conférence de Enrique Palancar, (the Surrey Morphology group)
Mercredi 2 février de 15h30 à 17h30,
SeDyL, 7 rue Guy Moquet, Bat. D, 94801 Villejuif Cedex
Salle 511

 From ”wanting sale” to “wanting to sell”: Complementation and nominalization in Otomi
Enrique L. Palancar
Surrey Morphology Group
In this talk, I approach two complex issues for both linguistic description and linguistic theory.
One is the concern about the role played by marginal syntactic constructions in the general making
of the grammar of a given language; the other is the quest for an understanding of how non-finite
structures emergence in natural languages. I approach these two issues here by presenting the case
of a syntactic construction in the Otomi languages of Mexico (Oto-Pamean, Oto-Manguean), which is
specifically used in the realm of verbal complementation to depict habitual actions commonly carried
out by humans. The construction is syntactically based on the more basic syntactic frame of a
transitive VP [V+NP-Object] and on a morphological construction involving nominalization, and it is
functionally equivalent to using a structure such as “I wanted sale” as if it were acomplementation
structure of the type “I wanted to sell".

http://sedyl.cnrs.fr

<*> Vos options mail :
    Mail individuel | Traditionnel

<*> Pour modifier vos options avec le Web, allez sur :
    ((Compte Yahoo! requis)

<*> Pour modifier vos options par mail :
    parislinguists-digest at yahoogroupes.fr
    parislinguists-fullfeatured at yahoogroupes.fr

<*> Pour vous désincrire de ce groupe, envoyez un mail à :