Tr : Vancouver workshop on parentheticals

julie glikman jglikman at U-PARIS10.FR
Wed Jun 20 12:11:51 UTC 2012

----- Mail transféré -----
De : Frederick J Newmeyer <fjn at u.washington.edu>

Pacific Northwest Workshop on Parentheticals

Simon Fraser University

Harbour Centre Campus, Downtown Vancouver
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

November 2, 2012

Parenthetical clauses, phrases and words constitute a challenge for linguistic theory, since such constituents seem to be both an integrated part of a sentence plus somehow separate from it.  Parentheticals have recently been the focus of international research, as witnessed by a fairly recent book (Parentheticals, 2007, edited by Nicole Dehé and Yordanka Kavolova, John Benjamins) and by two 2012-2013 international conferences in Europe (the recent Parenthetical Verbs conference in Paris and the upcoming Parenthesis and Ellipsis workshop in Potsdam).

We three organizers from Vancouver all participated in the Paris conference and found ourselves to be the only North Americans there. Hence, we decided that we should together organize a local, regional workshop on parentheticals. We thus invite presentations on parentheticals that are 20 minutes in length plus 10 minute for questions. We encourage papers on any aspect of parentheticals in any language, including syntax, semantics, prosody, pragmatics, historical development, first and second language acquisition, computational linguistics, psycholinguistics, sociolinguistics, etc.

The research reported on can be completed or very much in progress. Our primary aim is to get researchers who are interested in parentheticals together to exchange ideas and to get to know each other. We also wish to transcend disciplinary lines and attract researchers from language departments in addition to linguistics departments, as well as any other, such as philosophy, psychology and computer science departments. All papers, however, should be presented in English.

Interested participants should submit a one-page abstract of their proposed talk by July 31, 2012 to the following email address:  vancouverparentheticals at gmail.com.   Applicants will be informed about our decision by August 20, 2012.

Organizers:
Laurel Brinton, Department of English, University of British Columbia.
Nancy Hedberg, Department of Linguistics, Simon Fraser University.
Frederick J. Newmeyer, Department of Linguistics, University of Washington, Simon Fraser University, University of British Columbia.