Conf=?utf-8?Q?=C3=A9rence_?=David Adger, Univ. PAris 8, 21 mai 2012

Jean-louis Aroui jean-louis.aroui at UNIV-PARIS8.FR
Sat May 12 07:49:28 UTC 2012

L'UMR 7023 a le plaisir de vous convier, dans le cadre des séances de son séminaire (http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/-Seminaire-de-l-UMR-7023,50-.html),

le lundi 21 mai 2012
10h00-12h00,
Université Paris VIII, 2, rue de la liberté, 93200 Saint-Denis (métro Saint-Denis Université, ligne 13), bâtiment D, salle D 143

à une conférence de David Adger (Queen Mary, University of London)

intitulée

`Relationality ain't in the head: the syntax of relational nominals'

Résumé :

`The standard syntactic view of relational nominals is that their arguments are syntactic complements. This view, stemming from Chomsky 1970, melds well with a standard semantic perspective on relational nominals, which is that they denote semantic relations. I argue that, in fact, relational nominals are not semantically relational, and their apparent relationality is negotiated in the syntax. Kayne 2010 proposes something similar, taking apparent arguments of relational nominals to be reduced relatives of some sort. Instead, I propose that they are licensed by distinct functional elements in the extended projection of the nominal, and that it is these elements that bear the semantic weight of relationality. This explains some otherwise curious cross-linguistics generalizations about the relative linear and hierarchical positions of AP modifiers and PP complements in the nominal phrase. I draw on mainly data from Celtic, Romance, Semitic, Polynesian and Germanic head initial languages but extend the syntactic conclusions to head final languages too (Japanese, Turkish, Malayalam, Hindi).'

--
Jean-Louis AROUI
Université Paris 8