Fwd: [sfl-large] Workshop : Core Knowledge, Language and Culture

Sophie Wauquier sophie.wauquier at ORANGE.FR
Mon May 28 20:26:47 UTC 2012

http://www.lorentzcenter.nl/lc/web/2012/493/info.php3?wsid=493

*Core Knowledge, Language and Culture *

      from 29 May 2012 through 1 Jun 2012

This workshop will address the relation between core knowledge,
language, music, and culture, with a view to assessing the current
understanding of these questions for a theory of the mind/brain. We hope
that the participants -- scholars from fields as diverse as psychology,
linguistics, neurobiology, neurolinguistics, music cognition, and
cognitive anthropology -- will contribute to defining a research program
that may address both new and as yet unresolved research questions in
this area.

To give one example, it is puzzling that a notion such as /recursion/
(and the cognate notions of /Merge///or/successor function/) seems to
play a role in apparently unrelated domains such as number/arithmetics,
language, and music. Both linguistic and nonlinguistic quantification
seem to be built on shared primitives. Such issues are often relatedto
the (dis)similarity or (dis)continuity between the animal and the human
domain. The question arises whether core knowledge of number constitutes
an intriguing exception to the discontinuity thesis, with potential
ramifications for the representation of time and space in the spirit of
Kant.

The organizers of the workshop will be pleased to facilitate an open and
fruitful debate on these topics. We believe that such a dialogue is
crucial to gain further insight into notions such as knowledge,
language, and culture. We remain at your disposal to facilitate this
dialogue both before and during the Workshop, and look forward to
welcoming you at the Lorentz Center.

--
Sophie Wauquier
Professeur