Conferences de Gregory Stump

Bernard Fradin bernard.fradin at LINGUIST.JUSSIEU.FR
Wed Jan 30 09:47:40 UTC 2013

A l'invitation de l'Université Paris Diderot-Paris 7

GREGORY STUMP (Université du Kentucky)
donnera une série de conférences en anglais portant sur la morphologie flexionnelle sur le thème

CONTENT vs.	FORM IN INFLECTIONAL PARADIGMS

In this series of lectures, I use evidence from a range of languages to develop a model of inflectional morphology that explains a variety of mismatches between content and form in inflectional paradigms.
Lecture 1.  The nature of morphomic properties.  Drawing on evidence from Hua [Trans-New Guinea; Papua New Guinea], Nepali, Twi [Niger-Congo; Ghana], and other languages, I discuss the motivation for postulating morphomic properties and their significance for morphological theory.
Lecture 2. Content/form mismatches among a paradigm’s cells.  I examine content/form mismatches among cells of individual paradigms, elaborating on the theoretical significance of phenomena such as overabundance, suppletion and syncretism in Chichewa [Niger-Congo; Malawi], German, Latin, Turkish, and other languages.
Lecture 3. Content/form mismatches among distinct lexemes belonging to the same syntactic category.  Drawing on evidence from Latin, Old Norse, Sanskrit, and other languages, I discuss mismatches between content and form that emerge through the comparison of distinct paradigms belonging to the same syntactic category; some such mismatches involve the realization of the same content by distinct morphology, while others involve the realization of distinct content by the same morphology.  I use this evidence to extend the theoretical conclusions of Lectures 1 and 2.
Lecture 4. Content/form mismatches among lexemes belonging to distinct syntactic categories.  Content/form mismatches also exist between paradigms that belong to distinct syntactic categories; I present an account of such mismatches in Baure [Arawakan; Bolivia], Hungarian, Noon [Niger-Congo; Senegal], and other languages.  I conclude with a summary of the proposed model, highlighting future directions for its refinement.

Les conférences auront lieu sur le site de l'Université Paris Diderot-Paris 7 dans le bâtiment Olympe de Gouges.

Mercredi 20 et 27 février		14h-16h		 	salle 137
Vendredi 8 mars				10h-12h			salle 137
Mercredi 20 mars				14h-16h			salle 106

Transports:
M 14, Bibliothèque François Mitterrand
RER C: Bibliothèque François Mitterrand , Grands Moulins
T3: Avenue de France
Bus 62, 89 : Bibliothèque François Mitterrand

Telephone: (33) 1 57 27 57 84

Adresse géographique / Physical address
JUSQU'AU 8 FEVRIER 2013 SEULEMENT / UNTIL FEBRUARY 8 ONLY
NE PAS ENVOYER DE COURRIER A CETTE ADRESSE / DO NOT SEND ANY SURFACE MAIL TO THIS ADDRESS
Laboratoire de linguistique formelle
CNRS & Université Paris Diderot-Paris 7
4ème étage, plateau C
175, rue du Chevaleret