seminaire du labo SFL: Louise McNally - 21 octobre =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=E0_?=Pouchet

Elena Soare soarelena at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 13 19:38:01 UTC 2013

L'UMR 7023 a le plaisir de vous inviter, dans le cadre de son séminaire

http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/-Seminaire-de-l-UMR-7023,50-.html

à un exposé de

*Louise McNally*

(Universitat Pompeu Fabra)

* *

Titre :

*Reference to and via properties: The view from Dutch***

Date : le 21 octobre 2013

Heure : 10h

Lieu :  CNRS Pouchet – sale 159

Plan d’accès:

http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/Plans-d-acces,672.html

Title: Reference to and via properties: The view from Dutch (joint work
with Henriette de Swart)

Abstract:

Many languages offer a surprisingly complex range of options for referring
to entities using expressions whose main descriptive content is contributed
by an adjective, such as Dutch *de blinde* ‘the blind’,* het besprokene*,
‘the (matters) discussed’, or *het ongewone van het niet roken *‘the
strange (thing) about not smoking’). In this talk, we present a case study
of the syntax and compositional semantics of three such constructions in
Dutch, one of which we argue has not previously been identified in the
literature. The data and the analyses will shed light on our understanding
of how reference using adjectives differs from that using nouns in
languages that have the two categories, as well as on the differences
between reference to entities via their properties vs. reference to
properties themselves. Finally, we sketch a program for a study of the
typological variation found in this rich and highly understudied corner of
natural language.

--
Elena Soare