Le labex EFL vous invite =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=E0_4_conf=E9rences_?=du Professeur Eve Clark (Stanford University) les 2 , 9, 16 et 23 juin, 2014

jacqueline vaissiere jacqueline.vaissiere@univ-paris3.fr [parislinguists] parislinguists at YAHOOGROUPES.FR
Thu May 29 13:20:59 UTC 2014

*le LABEX Fondations Empiriques de la Linguistique , (**ANR-10-LABX-0083) ,
**Paris*

  accueille la Pr. Eve Clark (Stanford University) comme professeur
invitée depuis le 2 juin et jusqu'au 23 juin, 2014.

Eve Clark donnera à cette occasion une série des conférences  qui aura
lieu
au Campus Paris Diderot
SALLE 126, Bat. Olympe de Gouges (rue Albert Einstein 75013, Paris):

*1. Acquisition, Interaction, and Feedback  *(le lundi, 2 juin, 16-18)

I argue that children acquire language in conversation: this setting allows
for exposure to the target language, feedback on their own attempts to use
language, and extensive practice with different, more expert, speakers.

 *2. Attention, Grounding, and Word Acquisition  *(le mercredi, 9 juin)

To acquire new words, children need to be able to identify the intended
referent on each occasion -- object, action, property, or relation in
context.  Adults and children coordinate in relying on joint attention,
physical co-presence, and conversational co-presence to manage initial
mappings of word forms.

*3. Conceptual Perspective and Speaker Choices *(le lundi, 16 juin, 16-18)

 Speakers can present different perspectives on events through their
choices of words (and of constructions).  This can affect what they
understand, and how they 'view' objects, actions, and events on different
occasions.   Children, I argue, begin to grasp some of these perspectives
very early -- and the findings here argue against a constraints-based view
of early lexical acquisition.

 *4. A Gradualist View of Word Meaning *(le lundi, 23 juin, 16-18)

Does everyone acquire the same lexicon, with the same conventional
meanings?   Or do people differ, in part as a result of differences
in expertise?   I first consider the problem of lexical entries that
don't match and the extent  to which this matters, and the extent to which
people may have different yet partially overlapping meanings for some
(maybe many) words.  I relate this state of affairs to the gradual nature
of meaning acquisition -- from children's initial  fast mapping
(preliminary inferences about a possible/plausible meaning in context) to
their gradual elaboration  of word meanings as they are exposed to more
uses and as they themselves misuse certain words.

--

Prof. Jacqueline Vaissière
Membre Senior, Institut Universitaire de France

http://lpp.in2p3.fr/article.php3?id_article=325