[parislinguists] Fwd: Conférences Labex : Joe Pater les 12/12, 09/01, 16/01, 23/01

Cecile Fougeron cecile.fougeron@univ-paris3.fr [parislinguists] parislinguists-noreply at yahoogroupes.fr
Thu Jan 8 16:04:19 UTC 2015

Pour rappel, la deuxième conférence de Joe Pater aura lieu demain.

**  Attention.  Suite à l'application du plan Vigipirate renforcé à
l'ILPGA, un filtrage des entrées sera effectué à partir de demain par
les agents d’accueil.  Merci de vous munir d'une pièce d'identité et de
vous présenter à l'accueil à votre arrivée en précisant le séminaire
auquel vous venez assister **

-------- Message transféré --------
Sujet : 	Conférences Labex : Joe Pater les 12/12, 09/01, 16/01, 23/01
Date : 	Mon, 08 Dec 2014 08:12:54 +0100
De : 	Cecile Fougeron <cecile.fougeron at univ-paris3.fr>
Pour : 	labex-efl at listes.univ-paris3.fr, lpp at listes.univ-paris3.fr
<lpp at listes.univ-paris3.fr>, parislinguists at yahoogroupes.fr,
parole at listes.afcp-parole.org, Joe Pater <pater at linguist.umass.edu>

Chers collègues

Dans le cadre des séminaires de Professeurs Invités organisés par
leLabEx « Empirical Foundations of Linguistics », nous avons le plaisir
de recevoir *Joe Pater*, professeur au département de linguistique de
l’Université du Massachusetts (UMass, http://blogs.umass.edu/pater/).

Joe nous proposera 4 cours sur *l’apprentissage phonologique* dont vous
trouverez les résumés ci-dessous.

Ces séances auront lieu salle Rousselot, ILPGA, 19 rue des
Bernardins,75005 Paris (http://lpp.in2p3.fr/Comment-venir) les vendredi:

     - 12 décembre 2014 de14h à 16h
     - 9 janvier de 14h à 16h
     - 16 janvier de 14h30 à 16h30
     - 23 janvier de14h30 à 16h30

Pour tout renseignement, n’hésitez pas à me contacter : Cécile Fougeron
<cecile.fougeron at univ-paris3.fr>

Cordialement,
Cécile Fougeron

------

_Résumé des interventions : _

*Class 1: Weighted constraint models of phonology and learning*
In this class, I’ll start by introducing weighted constraint models of
phonology primarily using data from French schwa alternations. I won’t
assume a background in Optimality Theory, and will explain why violable
constraints are useful in analyzing the French data, before moving on to
weighted constraints, including a probabilistic MaxEnt model that can
handle variation in schwa alternations. I’ll provide a relatively
non-technical introduction to the computational modeling of learning
with a MaxEnt model, and then discuss an artificial language learning
experiment that provides support for the predictions of a MaxEnt
phonotactic learning model.

The last part of the class will include material from this paper:

Moreton, Elliott, Joe Pater and Katya Pertsova. 2014. Phonological
concept learning
<http://people.umass.edu/pater/PhonologicalConceptLearning.pdf>. Ms,
University of North Carolina and University of Massachusetts Amherst.
http://people.umass.edu/pater/PhonologicalConceptLearning.pdf

*Class 2: More on artificial language learning*
Artificial language learning has recently become a very popular
technique for studying the predictions of models of phonology and it’s
learning. We’ll survey some of the results of that literature, and
discuss the promise, and challenges, of studying learning using
web-based experiments. We’ll also discuss the insights that ERP methods
can give us in terms of the kind of knowledge is acquired in a lab
experiment.
*Class 3: Iterated learning*
This class presents the initial results of a program of research that
incorporates learning into typological modeling through iterated
learning. Given a theory of grammar, and a theory of learning, we’ll
examine how multiple rounds of learning (across or within generations)
can shape the predicted typology. I’ll show how typological prediction
can be extended into territories generally hostile to grammatical
modeling: probabilistic and systemic generalizations (e.g. feature
economy). I’ll also discuss results relevant to the choice between
ranked and weighted constraints for typological modeling. This class
will cover some of the material in Pater and Moreton (2012) and Staubs
(2014), as well as some newer ongoing work.
Pater, Joe and Elliott Moreton. 2012. Structurally biased phonology:
Complexity in learning and typology
<http://people.umass.edu/pater/pater-moreton-2012-offprint.pdf>. In a
special issue of the EFL Journal on phonology, edited by K.G.
Vijayakrishnan (The Journal of the English and Foreign Languages
University, Hyderabad), 1-44.
http://people.umass.edu/pater/pater-moreton-2012-offprint.pdf
Staubs, Robert. 2014. Computational modeling of learning biases in
stress typology. Doctoral dissertation, University of Massachusetts
Amherst.http://people.umass.edu/rstaubs/slides/staubs.dissertation.pdf
*Class 4:* To be decided based on participants’ interests.

--

Cécile Fougeron
Directeur de Recherche - CNRS

Laboratoire de Phonétique et Phonologie
(UMR 7018, CNRS / Université Paris 3 - Sorbonne Nouvelle)
19 rue des Bernardins
F-75005 Paris

http://lpp.in2p3.fr/Fougeron-Cecile-58
0143265717