performance/competence, cooperation, and the future

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sat Nov 3 14:32:50 UTC 2007

Dear Jan,

    Unless I misread Tom's message, it seems that the meeting in
Cyprus focused
more on issues such as quantifier spreading than on child phonology.
However,
there is indeed an NIH-funded project on cross-linguistic phonological
acquisition
directed by Yvan Rose and myself.  During the first year of this
project, the focus has
been on the construction of an initial database.  In this regard
Sophie Kern, Katherine
Demuth, Yvan Rose, Heather Goad, Paula Fikkert, Claartje Levelt,
Barbara Davis, and
are in the process of contributing important
databases from a variety of languages that are slowly now being made
public at
http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/phon/
and (still in preparation)
http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/data/PhonBank/  (along  the big Providence
and Lyon corpora
that are in Eng-USA and Romance/French respectively).

    A brief  scan  of the fascinating material that you have at your
Paidologos home page
suggests that these projects differ somewhat in emphasis and involve
two largely non-overlapping
groups  of researchers.  Paidologos emphasizes the construction of
tests, whereas PhonBank
emphasizes the construction of a database of
naturalistic productions.  Still the ultimate aims of the projects are
related and when we come to
the level of  computational analysis, the links and overlap seem even
stronger.  So, it would seem to make
good sense to try to maximize the ability of researchers to access
both resources in a parallel
and integrated fashion.  For example, it would be interesting  to be
able to compare sequences derived from formal
assessment with  sequences revealed through naturalistic productions.
Perhaps this integration may be possible as we move forward.

   Yvan is scheduling the official release of the PHON  software for a
month off.  The release
has been a bit delayed because we want to focus on making sure
eveything is right.

   Also, you may be interested in joining the  phon at googlegroups.com
mailing list which is
designed for further discussion of these issues.  Discussion of
Paidologos issues would also be
quite appropriate on that list.

--Brian MacWhinney, CMU