ext IPA

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Aug 4 19:59:07 UTC 2011

Dear Phon and Angela,
    During the updating of my Mac computer to the new Lion system, I was forced to explore the ext IPA a bit further.  In part this was because the older IPA Keys application would no longer work in 10.7 (lion).  So, I updated to IPA Palette instead.  Within IPA Palette, there is a tab that clearly shows all the characters of ext IPA and it appears that all of them are supported by CharisSIL.  So, in that sense ext IPA is already working for CHAT-coded Phon files and I suspect that there should be little problem for Phon either.  Also, the tab in the IPA Palette application lists the Unicode values for all of the symbols.  The only thing that is really missing from IPA Palette that was present in IPA Keys is the keyboard layout and Leonid tells me that he will be able to produce this, using the same basic bindings of IPA Keys.  Hopefully, there are enough available keyboard slots for everything.
  So, if you are using a Mac, then there should be no problem with using ext IPA symbols in CLAN and eventually Phon.  I don't know about Windows, but I guess that things would work okay there too.  I have pointers to IPA Palette and CharisSIL from
http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/tools/unimac.html

-- Brian MacWhinney