Phon 1.6 release

Yvan Rose yrose at mun.ca
Wed Feb 13 14:33:10 UTC 2013

Dear everyone,

It is with great pleasure that we are now releasing version 1.6 of Phon. This version comes with significant improvements, as detailed below.

Session Editor
• New layout management system
• Layout presets, ability to create user-customized layouts
• Inside the Record Menu, functions to cut/copy/paste records
• Changed name of 'Merged Session' function to 'Derived Session'
• Improved handling of Session Information data (e.g. media files)
• Added syllabifier for Cree
• Added systems for PCC (percent consonant correct) and PVC (percent vowel correct) calculations
	(Special thanks to Cynthia Core for her collaboration on this project)
• Added Quick Search functions; moved record list function to Quick Search
	- Export to CSV from Quick Search
	- Using Quick Search, multiple record lists can also be opened and used with different filters
• Added characters and diacritics support in our IPA set
• Update to the English IPA dictionary of pronounced forms
• Aligned Phones results now always appears as IPA Target ↔ IPA Actual

Query and Reporting
• New XML-based query database system (we now store result sets in xml format within the project)
• Newly designed approach to query result visualization
• Streamlined report generation
• Improved system for saving results into the Query History
• Ability to exclude results from reports (instead of deleting results)
• New result sets editor (which now appears as a separate window)
• Ability to save query scripts as XML files which include both the scripting functions and the parameters
• Improvements to Harmony/Metathesis feature specification method

TalkBank compatibility
• PhonTalk utility for converting data from Phon into TalkBank XML and vice versa now embedded as a plugin into Phon
• Added support for %mor, %trn, and %gra for import/export
• Added significant support for main-line CHAT encoding

This version also comes with several bug fixes and performance improvements in the areas of media support, memory management, etc.

Discussion group
Phon users are encouraged to subscribe to the discussion group (no Gmail account required to subscribe):
	http://groups.google.com/group/phon

	-To join the group, click on the “Sign up” link and follow the instructions.
	-Group's email address (for message posting): phon at googlegroups.com

Acknowledgments
Special thanks: While it is impossible to name everyone who ended up being involved in one way or another in this project, we owe special thanks to a wonderful group of phon users and beta testers, without whom it would have been much more difficult to produce this new update. We look forward to continuing our with you!

Funding: Current development of Phon and PhonBank is supported by the National Institutes of Health. Earlier development of Phon was funded by grants from National Science Foundation, Canada Fund for Innovation, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Petro-Canada Fund for Young Innovators, and the Office of the Vice-President (Research) and the Faculty of Arts at Memorial University of Newfoundland.

The Phon Team

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php