New corpora on CHILDES/PhonBank

Yvan Rose yrose at mun.ca
Thu May 30 18:43:21 UTC 2013

[Apologies for cross-posting.]

Dear everyone,
It is our pleasure to announce the recent release of a number of corpora within PhonBank, each of which offers a significant addition to our database, complete in both Phon and CHAT formats.

Cree - CCLAS
A small corpus of monolingual Cree (Algonquian) language development, which offers transcript and related audio data on language learning within a mixed language environment. We are grateful to Julie Brittain and her team at Memorial University for this initial release of data on Aboriginal language development.

English - Compton & Pater
This corpus contains a conversion of a portion of the original Compton & Streeter (1977) diary studies, documenting three English-learning children. We formatted this corpus with the collaboration of Joe Pater (University of Massachusetts, Amherst). We are also thankful to Joe for providing us with a preliminary version of this corpus in electronic format.

English - Goad
This corpus documents the first language acquisition of two English-learning children, and also comes with audio recordings of the children's productions. We owe special thanks to Heather Goad (McGill University) for her early contribution of this new data corpus.

Portuguese - CCF
This corpus documents the first language acquisition of five learners of European Portuguese. Complete with audio recordings, these data were recorded and transcribed by Susana Correia, Teresa da Costa, and Maria João Freitas from Lisbon University. Several thanks for this joined contribution.

Portuguese - Freitas
This corpus consists of an electronic conversion of the original database used in Freitas (1997), which documents the phonological development of seven European Portuguese children. We are grateful to Maria João Freitas for giving us access to the original data files, as well as to Leticia Almeida, who also collaborated on the publication of this corpus.

Please see http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/manuals/ for a more complete description of these (and other) PhonBank corpora.

In addition to our colleagues higlighted above, we would like to thank everyone involved in any of the steps that led to the release of these wonderful data, as well as Kelly Burkinshaw (Memorial University), who dedicated countless hours working on making the corpora fully compatible with both Phon and CHAT, and Gregory Hedlund, Franklin Chen and Leonid Spektor for their continuing efforts on developing Phon, CLAN, and other utilities required to make these data truly useful.

Best regards,
Brian MacWhinney & Yvan Rose
http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php