access

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sun Jun 26 19:26:13 EDT 2016

Dear PhonBank,

Over the last month, we reorganized web access to the TalkBank, CHILDES, and HomeBank corpora.  The goal of this process is to provide more direct access to documentation, transcripts, and media.

To achieve this, we broke up the manuals into smaller *.pdf  documentation files.  These PDF files now get included automatically in the *.zip files for CHILDES, PhonBank, TalkBank, and HomeBank.   They can also be accessed by clicking on links from http://childes.talkbank.org/access/   , http://talkbank.org/access/  and http://homebank.talkbank.org/access/    The material that had been in the tables  on the first page of the separate manuals is now in the web pages.

For PhonBank corpora in Phon format, the relevant table is at http://childes.talkbank.org/access/PhonBank-Phon/ for the corpora in CHAT format, although you can also go directly to the Apache index at http://childes.talkbank.org/data/PhonBank-Phon/

For PhonBank corpora in CHAT format, you can use the overall index by languages and types at http://childes.talkbank.org/access/

We will work over the next months to contact contributors to get more information for some of the incomplete documentation files.

We are also minting a series of DOI codes for each corpus that will be included in the next versions of the *.pdf documentation files.  Eventually, we will rely on DOI codes rather than ISBN codes for data citation.  This is because DOI has wider recognition, particularly for data, and because DOI codes can be clicked on directly and that will take you to the relevant web site for the data.  In this case, it will take you to the *.zip transcript files,  which will then automatically download and unzip, along with the enclosed *.pdf documentation files.

Comments invited.

-- Brian MacWhinney