Phon 2.2 now available

Yvan Rose yvan.rose at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 07:05:34 EDT 2017

Dear colleagues,
It is with immense pleasure that we are announcing the public (beta) release of Phon 2.2, our first update to Phon in over a year. While we were hoping to upgrade Phon sooner, we decided to go all in with the feedback we received through the past year. We are now inviting students and researchers to try out our new version, which includes a brand new system for automatized analyses of transcript data as well as improved and streamlined support for acoustic analysis. This new version also includes numerous improvements to existing functions, including the addition and expansion of IPA dictionaries, syllabification algorithms (e.g. Slovenian, German, Icelandic) as well as numerous improvements to the program's graphical user interface.

The new data analysis system, accessible via the Analysis menu options, includes built-in simple (e.g. inventories) and relational (e.g. processes) analyses that are commonly-used for research on speech disorders. We can run these analyses one-by-one, or combine them into more comprehensive data assessments, using the newly-introduced Analysis Composer.

Our updated module for acoustic analysis includes new methods, for example support for word-, group-, or utterance-wide measurements, useful for example in the analysis of intonation, as well as functions to analyze spectral moments. We also improved our interface to link transcripts to TextGrids as well as for creating transcript records from existing TextGrids.

Note to current users: In case you are using user-defined queries (e.g. saved within your project or user library), please be advised that these query forms will need to be updated for use in Phon 2.2. The simplest method is to re-create your query forms with the new version of Phon.

Download links:

macOS:
https://github.com/phon-ca/phon/releases/download/2.2.0b10/Phon_macos_2_2_0b10.dmg

Windows (64-bit):
https://github.com/phon-ca/phon/releases/download/2.2.0b10/Phon_windows-x64_2_2_0b10.zip

Windows (32-bit):
https://github.com/phon-ca/phon/releases/download/2.2.0b10/Phon_windows_2_2_0b10.zip

(Unix/Linux version to be released soon.)

This work has been supported by the National Institutes of Health (USA) as well as by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (Canada). We are thankful to May Bernhardt, Steven Long, Sarah Masso, and Sharynne McLeod for their support and encouragement toward the automation of our phonological analyses, as well as to Paul Boersma for his continued support in the area of acoustic analysis. We are also grateful to Scott Sadowsky for his contribution toward our Spanish IPA dictionary for Latin America. As none of this work would be possible without the generous contribution of corpus data to PhonBank, we want to thank everyone actively involved in past, present, and future data sharing initiatives.

We look forward to your feedback on this new version of Phon, and to continuing our work with you all.

Kind regards,
Gregory Hedlund, Yvan Rose and Brian MacWhinney