Media linkage across computers?

Yvan Rose yvan.rose at gmail.com
Tue May 22 08:02:54 EDT 2018

Hi Trianna,
There are multiple possible answers to your question. I will use one example to illustrate some possibilities; we can fine tune the answer later, based on this.

1-Transcript files:
To share a corpus across computers, best is to have it stored and synched on a cloud (e.g. Dropbox, Google Drive, …), within a PhonWorkspace folder. Once this is set up, and the cloud folder is available to these different computers, you can set the 'cloud' PhonWorkspace within the Welcome window in Phon. Once all of your computers are set up that way, the work on any individual computer will automatically synch to the other computers via cloud sharing.

2-Media files:
In case you have plenty of space on your cloud systems, the media files can go there as well, ideally in a folder sister to PhonWorkspace, which you could call PhonMedia. Within the Preferences of Phon (menu Edit >> Preferences, then select the Media tab), you can set a reference to this PhonMedia folder.

Alternatively, the PhonMedia folder can be on other drives. It'll work the same as long as the reference to this folder is established within your Media preferences. Note here that you can put in as many references to different copies of your media folder. This is something I do for my own setup, as I have media files on cloud drives, on external drives, and on my internal hard drive. Depending on where I am working, Phon looks across these references each time I open a session and retrieves the copy of the media file that happens to be available at that moment.

After this is set up, you can then select your media file from within the Session Information view panel in Phon. In order for this to work, you have to make sure to select the relevant media file through typing its name within the Media field, so the reference to this file is dynamic (i.e. does not include the full path). After each computer is set up that way, then there will no longer be a need to relink your media files.

In case the question arises: it is completely fine to have multiple copies of your media files as Phon never modifies these files; it simply reads off them. On the other hand, your PhonWorkspace must be unique if you truly want to centralize your work.

3-Other advice
>From here on, you simply have to make sure that no two individuals work on a single transcript file at the same time (as they would erase each other's work in the process). You also must make sure that your media files within PhonMedia have a unique name, so as to make sure that Phon won't open a different file with the same name.

I hope that this answers your original question. As this may become complicated rather quickly, please feel free to ask for precision wherever needed!

Best regards,
Yvan