PCC- PHON Analysis

Rose, Yvan yrose at mun.ca
Sun Jul 14 12:19:04 EDT 2019

Dear Sabah,
First off, sorry about my slow reply - I was offline for a few days, a beautiful place to be in many ways!

To answer your question: All you need to do is specify the phonological expression that corresponds to the type of consonants you want to study more in particular, in the tier indicated through the screenshot attached. For example:

To look for the consonant [p]: p
To look for labial consonants: {labial}
To look for labial stops: {labial, stop}

...and so on.

You can also expand these expressions in many ways, for example by position within the word or within the syllable. For example:

[p] in syllable onsets: p:o
Labials in syllable onsets: {labial}:o

...and so on, where if you replace "o" by "c" you end up focusing on syllable codas.

I will refer you to the phonex section of our online user manual (available in the top sections of our main website (www.phon.ca<http://www.phon.ca>) for more information.
[cid:6AAB1F09-D6E6-42D0-8842-C28F530C1E34 at home]

Finally, I would like to encourage you to sign up for, and send your Phon/PhonBank-related questions to, the Phon mailing list (as opposed to Chibolts). Information to sign up is available here:

https://talkbank.org/share/email.html

Kind regards,
Yvan Rose