WAP - Distortions

'Nina R Benway' via Phon phon at googlegroups.com
Tue Jun 25 14:20:25 EDT 2019

Hi Yvan,

It was great to meet you at ICPC. When we spoke, I promised to follow up about the WAP category of “distortions”.

It’s a board category, but we would expect “distortions’ to return, at least, the following examples of place distortions when the symbol is present in the IPA Actual Tier (and not  also in the IPA Target Tier, in the case of something like [tɛn̪θ]):

     *   The Shriberg, Kent, McAllister, and Preston (2019) derhoticized diacritic,  0x032e
     *   Lateral release diacritics, such as  0x02e1
     *   Dental diacritics, such as 0x032a
     *   By definition, any extIPA diacritic and many extIPA main symbols (e.g. the ls digraph, 0x02aa)
     *   I’d also think it would return manner distortions (e.g. spirant - 0x0353) and voicing distortions (e.g.  pre-voicing 0x02ec + 0x0335), but I may be alone in that opinion.

But at this point, “distortions” in the WAP consistently returns “0” in our participant/query test corpora, which include the items above.

Could you clarify the expected behavior for “distortions”? Is it possible that the items above (and others) would be suitable for the category?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Nina
Nina R Benway MS CCC-SLP
PhD Student
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
Syracuse University
NYS Licensed, ASHA Certified Speech-Language Pathologist
NYS Certified Teacher of the Gifted and Talented