hyperlinking timecoded audio data in dictionaries

Nicholas Thieberger thien at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Aug 13 04:16:09 UTC 2004

Downsampling to MP3 from wav won't change the timecodes, providing
that the MP3 codec (the algorithm used to downsample) uses a linear
and not random encoding. Its specifications should say that it
produces a linear MP3 file.

Copying digital files always results in the copy and the original
being identical, that is one of the advantages of recording
digitally. And so a master (archival and citable) audio file is the
same as its copies, and they can be downsampled and transcribed and
the transcript will also relate to the master copy. Making edited
copies can lead to problems if you then invest effort into timecoding
transcripts to files that are not archival and citable.

I had exactly this problem with my own tapes, and still have a number
of files where the citable version has different timecodes to the
version I have been working with. It will take a little effort to
realign my current transcripts to the archival version.

Nick Thieberger