Transcriber vs. Praat

Patrick McConvell Patrick.McConvell at AIATSIS.GOV.AU
Thu Aug 19 02:42:04 UTC 2004

There is another widely used set of tools which include time-coding for
audio-visual material - CLAN, downloadable free from
http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/

This is used by many researchers in child language acquisition,
bilingualism/code-switching and conversation analysis. In Australia it
is used by the ACLA project
http://www.linguistics.unimelb.edu.au/research/projects/ACLA/

CLAN, like ELAN and unlike Trascriber as far as I know, also provides
for transcription and time-coding for video as well as audio. Wave forms
are displayed in the audio mode.It has a large database CHILDES which
allows for searching across many corpora, and a set of tools for
analysis of a corpus of text. As it has been around for a while some
people regard its structure as no longer cutting-edge.

Pat McConvell

>>> Nicholas Thieberger <thien at unimelb.edu.au> 08/16/04 10:02am >>>
My experience of both of these is that Praat is a tool for
phonetic/acoustic analysis, while Transcriber or Elan are designed
for producing time-aligned annotations. Praat is best for small
chunks that you want to do a close study of (and does formant
analysis, spectrographs and so on).

Nick

At 11:52 PM +0000 15/8/04, Colleen Pickett wrote:
>Hi everyone
>I'm interested in produced time-aligned text and audio and am
>wondering what the benefits are of using Transcriber instead of
>Praat. I've not used either program and am wondering what the pros
>and cons of both are.
>Cheers
>Colleen
>--
>Colleen Pickett
>Research Assistant, Coordinator Endangered Moluccan Languages Project
>School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics
>Building 11
>Monash University  3800
>Victoria
>Australia
>PHONE:  +61 3 9905 8672
>EMAIL:  colleen.pickett at arts.monash.edu.au
>This email (including all attachments) is intended solely for the use
of
>the named addressee. It is confidential and may be subject to
>professional privilege. If you receive it in error, please let us
know
>by reply email, delete it from your system and destroy any copies.
This

--

ARC Postdoctoral Fellow
Department of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics

Phone:	+61 3 8344 5185
Fax:	+61 3 8344 8990