Audio

Patrick McConvell Patrick.McConvell at aiatsis.gov.au
Fri Aug 13 05:33:12 UTC 2004

Re Pascale's message, I am very impressed by the performance of the
Switchboard corpus hosted
on the LDC site (mentioned by Nick)  in this regard. Even from my 56k
modem at home I can download audiobites of 20secs or more in only a
couple of secs then run them through PRAAT or whatever. You can do a
global search for items (words or phrases) across the very large
corpus
of transcripts, get a concordance with large sections of text either
side of the target item, play/download either the item or the section
containing it with very little delay and continue doing such searches
and downloads. Several formats are available including wav.

I don't know what technology lies behind this, if this could be
replicated or how much it would cost, but maybe Steven Bird could
advise.

Pat