Digitizing photos?

Eleonora Deak wmlinguist at KISSER.NET.AU
Mon Feb 21 05:37:22 UTC 2005

Cool. In my experience, b&w negatives scan as black and white. True black
and white. I can't remember now if we needed to select a black and white
channel on the computer to scan b&w negs. I'm pretty sure we didn't.  Either
way, scanning b&w negs was always easier to get a satisfactory result from
than printing. It's usually when you come to printing that there's an issue
because the print machines are colour printers. And even when you select the
appropriate channel and use b&w paper, you still get tone issues. From
negatives, you get the best results from hand printing.

So, I believe scanning your negatives is definitely the optimal option if
you want true black and white pictures. From there, I think your computer's
printer would be able to print it as black and white without tone issues;
your normal printer can (I think) bypass the colour inks when it wants b&w
but the photo print machine only minimises the colour filters' effects but
can't bypass them completely.

I hope that makes sense and that I explained it properly. If I didn't and
it's just plain wrong, I'd love to know about it.

Or, just have a go. Take a negative strip into a shop (or mate in
visual/fine arts dept), get it scanned and see if you're happy with it -
price is usually in proportion to quality of work and willingness to fit in
with customers' needs.

Eleonora