Audio questions

Matt Toulmin matthew.toulmin at ANU.EDU.AU
Sat Jan 29 15:40:17 UTC 2005

Andrea, and list,

I'm working in Praat with long segmented sound files. Praat segments by
having a separate text file that is in a particular format, which it lines
up against the audio.
(I'm not experienced in other programs, so don't know if this is standard).

Praat has a neat script writing facility that enables you to write
programming that adds onto the program. I've just in the last couple of days
written a script that Praat is currently using to create lots of little
files at the right place, naming them according to what is in the text file
for that segment (though the script could have been written differently to
make up the name from somewhere else). This means I've left my original
audio file intact but also have also extracted a bunch of little segments as
separate wave files.

I don't know if this is an option worth considering for you, but as a
non-expert in programming, this is what I think you could do:
- massage your xml files (which contain the time references to the audio)
into the format that Praat is expecting to see. (could you do this using a
Word Macro?).
- open the long sound file and massaged time reference file in Praat
- write a script to extract wave files at the segmented places, and give
them appropriate names.

Also, if you were going to do this multiple times, Praat allows you to write
scripts for things like 'open all the files in this directory, then apply
this script to them in this order' etc. So it can be really automated if you
want it to be (after you've made the xml files fit it's categories, and
after you've ironed the bugs out of your programming, which is a drag unless
you know what you're doing :-).

I'm happy to send you my script that I use to extract wave files, but it's
made in a pretty specific way for what I'm doing (and I don't have the
expertise to make it more generally applicable). If you have ideas about
programming, or have someone who can help you, I think this way could also
work for you.

best,
Matt Toulmin
Ph.D. student