Dena'ina audio: follow-up

Andrea Berez andrea at LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Thu Mar 31 14:18:28 UTC 2005

Hello List,

A few months ago I asked for suggestions on portioning long .wav files
into sentence-sized chunks using the xml file produced by ELAN. To recap,
I am part of a project to provide digital access of archived Dena'ina
Athabascan language materials to community members. One phase of the
project is to align audio and text of traditional stories in an archival
format (Elan's xml) and then to produce html presentation CD-ROMs quickly
and easily.

Our solution in the end has been to write an xsl stylesheet and embed
Quick Time plugins, then use the < starttime > and < endtime > attributes
to deal with the audio. This seems optimal because we can still use the
xml file with only minor massaging (converting the timecodes into QT
format), PLUS we don't have to deal with numerous individual audio files.
As some of the stories are up to 50 lines long, we only need to keep track of
the audio file for the entire story.

My sincere thanks to everyone who chimed in with suggestions. I believe we
now have a facility for converting elan files to attractive presentation
that can easily be taught to Dena'ina community members.

Andrea

Andrea Berez
LINGUIST List Editor
Wayne State University