Marantz 670 vs 660

Linda Barwick Linda.Barwick at ARTS.USYD.EDU.AU
Mon May 9 08:39:34 UTC 2005

Dear Anna
There are a couple of negative articles on the web about the Marantz PMD660:

see
http://4webresults.com/blog/04-05/marantz-pmd660-portable-recording-device/

and also

http://www.rds.com/blogs/doug/index.php/archives/2005/04/14/marantz-pmd660-revisited/

The problem seems to be that they have very noisy mike pre-amps and
unlike the PMD670 it lacks the -20DB 'mike attenuator' switch.

Put this together with its inability to record 24 bit sound and I'd say
as an archivist that it's probably not capable of recording what you
want to an acceptable quality.

PARADISEC has been testing out some other digital recording devices: the
Sony HiMD recorder and the Nagra ARES-P+. We'll post something on this
list shortly, comparing the two. In the meantime we've been quite happy
with our recordings on PMD670 as well as PMD690.

Regards
Linda

Anna Ash wrote:

> Dear List members,
> I followed the very useful discussion on recording equipment, and we
> are now trying to decide between the following, available from Sound
> Solution in Lismore:
> Marantz PMD660
> Marantz PMD670.
>
> David Nash noted that the PMD670 is superior in that it can record
> 24-bit wav files, but 16-bit MAY be quite adequate. I’d like to order
> the 660 as it’s cheaper and more portable. Is it adequate for archival
> quality?
>
> Thanks
> Anna
>
> Anna Ash
> Linguist
> Many Rivers Aboriginal Language Centre
> C/- Muurrbay
> 465 Bellwood Road
> Nambucca Heads 2448
> Ph. (02) 65685695 Mob: 0404456992
> Fax. (02) 65694295

Dr Linda Barwick
Senior Research Fellow
Sydney Conservatorium of Music
Office: room 235 Transient Building F12
University of Sydney NSW 2006
tel +61 2 9351 2002
fax +61 2 9351 7572
Linda.Barwick at arts.usyd.edu.au

Director, PARADISEC
Pacific and Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered Cultures
Sydney Unit, room 238
Transient Building F12
University of Sydney NSW 2006
tel +61 2 9036 9557