Bulldozer function (as in ELAN) for Transcriber?

Linguist Linguist at NOONGAR.ORG.AU
Wed Sep 28 07:30:16 UTC 2005

Hello all:

Using Transcriber I am transcribing a Noongar recording: this sound file
(call it A) is the unedited version of another sound file (call it B)
which I have already transcribed. So it is almost the same, but with
some extra material that was edited out of file B i.e. A is a bit longer
than B.

I thought I would make a copy of the transcription file for the sound
file B, and then re-name it (as transcription file A2) and attach it to
a copy of the original longer recording (sound file A2).

Then, I thought, I will cleverly add in the parts of the transcription
that are missing.

The idea was to save myself the time and hassle cutting and pasting text
from one Transcriber transcription file to another.

Now the (new) transcription file (A2) is attached ok to my original
sound file (copied and renamed sound file A2) but of course, when I
click play, the sections of the transcription are linked to the wrong
bits of the sound wave.

I thought I remembered ELAN having a sort of bulldozer function, where
you could neatly slide text along the sound wave to be attached to a
later (or earlier) part of the wave i.e. match the text up to different
time values.

Would anyone know if Transcriber has the same sort of thing?  The
reference guide does not seem to mention it.

Oh well. No panic, I can easily go back to cut 'n paste if necessary.

Cheers everybody, hope you are enjoying the ALS conference in Melbourne
if you are there:

Rachel

Rachel Cross
Linguist
South West Aboriginal Land and Sea Council
7 Harvey St, Victoria Park WA 6979
P. 9486 2400
Email Linguist at noongar.org.au <mailto:Linguist at noongar.org.au>