Hand-held devices for learners

Claire Bowern anggarrgoon at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 15 12:44:40 UTC 2006

Hi Andrea,
I have a Dell Axim from about 3 years ago. It can do all of the things
you mentioned. Audio recording and playback is good sampling-rate-wise
(anything from 11,000 Hz to 44,100), but the speakers and microphone are
so bad that there's not much point, really! It has a 3.5" screen. I have
trouble viewing pdfs on it because I'm always scrolling around the
screen, but words docs and images are fine. It allows compact flash card
storage. I have a 1 gig card and that's more than enough. Disadvantages
are that it's on the expensive end, it's on the large and heavy size
(maybe more recent models are better) and various things like a wireless
card usually have to be bought separately. I bought mine as an
alternative to taking a computer to the field and it worked very well
for that. Incidentally, I think if I bought a new one (which I guess I
will eventually) I would probably buy a Palm of some sort. There seems
to be a bit more flexibility with the software for a start.
Claire

Andrea Berez wrote:
> Hi Claire, and others
> She didn't say what "inexpensive" means, but I would assume that USD300
> would be a reasonable target.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if Palm Pilots or Pocket PC's came to everyone's
> minds, too; can anyone recommend specific models?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrea
>

> ***********************
> Andrea Berez
> Research Assistant
> The LINGUIST List
> andrea at linguistlist.org
> ***********************
>
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Claire Bowern wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrea,
>> What sort of price range is "inexpensive"? Most of the things I can
>> think of are at least US$200 - Palm Pilot or PocketPC PDA sort of
>> things. Is that the sort of thing your friend is looking for?
>> Claire
>>
>> Andrea Berez wrote:
>>> Hello List,
>>> A friend of mine is working with an elder in her community to learn
>>> her heritage language, and has asked for a recommendation for a
>>> hand-held device with the following features (in order of priority,
>>> high to low):
>>>
>>> 1. Inexpensive
>>> 2. For viewing Word documents, pdfs, and images of scanned paper
>>> materials