headphones

Bartlomiej Plichta plichtab at MSU.EDU
Mon Dec 18 22:01:22 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I agree with Steven Bird that the Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones are a
great choice.

For linguistic analysis, one needs to use headphones that have a broad
and flat frequency response. Such headphones are very difficult to find,
as most headphones have their spectral and electrical performance
tailored to specific music-related needs, such as studio, street, travel
(noise canceling), etc. I have used headphones professionally for quite
some time, both as a musician/sound engineer and as a linguist. I have
tested many. Under $100 US, I recommend the Sennheiser HD280 Pro
headphones for linguistic analysis. They have excellent clarity,
relatively unbiased frequency response, very good transient response
(good for plosives, fricatives, etc.), and comfortable, closed fit. It
is difficult to find better headphones for linguistic analysis in this
price range.

Bartek

--
Bartlomiej Plichta