Dictionary

Nicholas Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Tue Jan 31 19:08:06 UTC 2006

I would encourage you to persevere with Shoebox, and to look at
Toolbox, the newer version, available for free from the SIL website.
They also have training modules available at the same website which
are well worth reading. This is very good dictionary software that
gives  you many ready-made functions that do not exist in ordinary
database software like FileMaker Pro.

There are some websites that may help too:
http://www.linguistics.unimelb.edu.au/thieberger/RNLD/RNLDfaq.html#6
http://www.linguistics.unimelb.edu.au/thieberger/CALW/Shoebox5.htm

A database program can be a good data entry form, depending on how
complex you want your dictionary entries to be. A database program is
limited because you may want some entries to be brief while others
may need lots of subentries and senses of the headword together with
examples. But when you want to produce a neat looking dictionary,
both on paper and on the web, for example, Toolbox will do that as
part of its inbuilt functions, and a database program will not.

Can you find a linguist who uses Toolbox locally who can give you
some help? Once you are over the first learning curve it is a great
way to organise your dictionary.

Nick Thieberger

--
Project Manager
PARADISEC

nicholas.thieberger at paradisec.org.au
Ph 61 (0)3 8344 5185

PARADISEC
Pacific And Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered Cultures
http://paradisec.org.au