Dictionary

Daryn McKenny daryn at ARWARBUKARL.COM.AU
Tue Jan 31 23:27:26 UTC 2006

Hi All,

If add my 2 cents that means we will then have 4 cents worth about
dictionary software.

Quickly, for those that don't know me, I am from an Aboriginal
Organisation in Newcastle, Australia managing our own Language
Reclamation and Revitilisation program on the Awabakal Language.
Through doing this we have developed our own Language computer program
which some of you are familiar with, it now has an official name titled
"Miraama" which is from our language and is translated as "saved".

Anyway, our team has developed Miraama on the MS Access platform as a
program specifically designed as a IT tool for  Aboriginal Language
workers to utilize in contrast to the Linguists Toolbox. It is extremely
powerful in its ability to archive language not only in a text format
but also by using audio, video and still images for every word recorded
in Miraama.  It can produce wordlists and run some very helpful filters
which has certainly helped us unlock some of the secrets of our
language.

But also, we are able to at a click of a button export all of our data
into Toolbox, Lexique Pro no problems at all, this means it can keep all
of the Linguists happy as well.  We can chose what fields are exported,
the markers they receive etc.  We recently implemented a version of
Miraama at VACL in Victoria as they have volunteered to be our test bug
finders before we make it available more widely, but the exciting thing
was that they had a language with over 7000 entries in a spreadsheet
which we were able to import into our program and at the mouse click at
anytime we can have this as a Toolbox file.  For the language learners
our linkage with Lexique Pro is extremely exciting as Miraama is already
Multimedia capable.

So this problem that Sophie has encountered on the surface seems to be
something that we have solved.  At present we are one way ie export to
shoebox, we hope to have completed in the next 12 months (if funding
allows) the ability to import into Miraama from Toolbox which means that
we could theoretically develop then an export to any other program eg.
Filemaker Pro.

I am sure with some data massage (IT Speak) we could take the 23500
filemaker file and match up the corresponding fields and export this to
a Toolbox file.  The head scratching comes in to effect when we have our
set fields with 9 customizable fields, which is about 30 in total but
neverless it is possible that you don't have to sit and retype 23500
entries of data again.

Regards

Daryn McKenny

Arwarbukarl Cultural Resource Association