Clan/mp3 timecoding update

Linda Barwick Linda.Barwick at ARTS.USYD.EDU.AU
Mon May 29 07:10:39 UTC 2006

Yes please do not use mp3 as an original recording format. They are
not an archival format.  Rather, record an uncompressed format
(e.g. .wav, .aiff), and then save a copy of the file as mp3 if you
prefer that for access purposes.

To start off with, because mp3 is a lossy compression format, it
throws away information that may later be useful. Secondly, in order
to be archived, the file will have to be 'uncompressed' into .wav
form. If later on this archival form is re-compressed into mp3 or
another  compressed format unpredictable artefacts may emerge (e.g.
strange noises that were not in the original recording). Thirdly, mp3
is a proprietary format.

Regards
Linda