Digital video cameras

Tom Honeyman tom at FATUOUS.ORG
Wed Oct 4 05:49:46 UTC 2006

Hi Catriona,

We were discussing this very issue in the blog-o-sphere quite recently:

http://blogs.usyd.edu.au/elac/2006/08/digital_video.html
http://anggarrgoon.wordpress.com/2006/09/06/using-video/
http://blogs.usyd.edu.au/elac/2006/09/
nonintrusive_video_taping_or_s.html

By far I think most people are using MiniDV recorders. If you go down
this path then make sure the lens is good, and also possibly what the
sample bit rate and frequency is for audio. Low end consumer models
tend to have poorer lenses and record audio at a lower quality too.
If you're not recording audio separately then make sure you have a
decent mic that wont pick up the mechanical noise of the recorder.

I'm dying to get my hands on a HD recorder, I think they look really
interesting, but I'm keen to see if you can (a) get the files off the
hard disk faster than real time, (b) have separate files with good
file metadata for each stop/start of recording, (c) not have too
great a quality drop in compression of video and (d) record for much
longer periods that a 60/90 minute cassette tape. These are all
potential major pluses.

Has anyone used either the HD or DVD camcorders? I'd _really_ like to
see what the files they produce are like!

Tom Honeyman
PARADISEC Project Co-ordinator
Pacific and Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered Cultures
Sydney Unit, room 238, Transient Building F12
University of Sydney NSW 2006
tel +61 2 9036 9557
fax +61 2 9351 7572
tom.honeyman at paradisec.org.au