.wav file formats

Bartlomiej Plichta plichtab at MSU.EDU
Thu Sep 21 04:02:51 UTC 2006

Linguist wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I am filling in a format (Dublin Core Metadata Initiative) field in a
> database about oral history recordings.
>
> DCMI suggest using the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
> Audio Media-Types list to fill in the format field (see
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/audio/) .
>
> I have recordings from the Marantz PMD 660 which are PCM .wav files.
>
> My question is which media type best describes my PCM files, using the
> IANA list?
>
> Any clues much appreciated!
>
> Rachel

Dublin Core is meant to provide very basic metadata, and it is a common
practice to use MIME to encode audio file type. You can simply use
"audio/x-wav" in your file format field. The use of MIME in Dublin Core
does not necessarily make the distinction between audio file format and
audio file type. For example, you can have, in theory, an MP3-encoded
content inside a WAVE file, or you can even have mixed encoding inside a
WAVE container. Metadata standards such as METS offer better options for
these sorts of issues.

Bartek

--
Bartlomiej Plichta