portable speakers

Joe Blythe joe.blythe at ARTS.USYD.EDU.AU
Mon Feb 26 00:05:43 UTC 2007

Hi Andrea,
I have no idea about what sort of speakers to use. In the field I was
lucky enough to be able to plug into some computer speakers that were
in my field site anyway. They weren't too bad. They ran off mains
power so they had a bit of volume and they a volume knob. However
what was nice about them was that the speakers has a 3.5 mm headphone
socket built in to them. Then I also had a splitter with a male 3.5mm
jack on one end and two female inputs on the other. The splitter
plugs into the laptop, my headphones plug into one input, the
speakers into the other and a second pair of headphones into the
headphone socket in the speakers. That way you can sit around with a
group of people and there are two sets of headphones to pass around
for careful listening. That way you get the best of both worlds with
no plugging and unplugging.

A splitter is cheap as chips and sooooo useful. I'd get two in case
you lose one. They're only small.

If you are dealing with overlap (which you may well be) there's no
substitute for headphones.

That's my two cents worth.

Joe