No subject

Claire Bowern anggarrgoon at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 24 16:43:02 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,
the developers of the software gave me an evaluation copy to try out.
I've written up a review and it is currently with them (they're checking
for any factual errors, for example for things I claim can't be done but
can in fact be done with the software, but I didn't find it in the time
I spent playing with it). I'm going to submit the review to the new
documentation Journal, but let me give a brief comment here.

I thought it would be an excellent way to compile a dictionary from
scratch, particularly in cases where there was multiple authorship
(multiple people adding and changing records at the same time). It was
quite intuitive to use, and could do everything that the Toolbox
dictionary can do. In some ways it was better than Toolbox, particularly
because of the way that it enforces structure in the database. It wasn't
very easy to import a Toolbox database, but it was possible. Part of the
reason was a difficult was because of the lack of Toolbox enforcing a
consistent structure. There were multiple export options, and the whole
thing is quite customisable.

The biggest drawback for me is that there's no easy way to interface
with with an interlinear parser. it would be possible, once a relatively
static skeleton database was set up, to have a regular export of head
word, morpheme, and gloss to use with a parser (Alchemist, for example,
or even Toolbox). If someone does all their parsing in Elan
transcriptions it probably wouldn't be a problem. However, for language
documentation where the linguist is building up a database from texts in
Toolbox and the whole thing is very fluid, I don't think there'd be any
advantage to switching.

So, the short answer is that for doing lexicography (and extended
lexicography, such as dictionary/encyclopaedia type books or web sites),
I was quite impressed. I think of the best thing available short of
highly customised FileMaker databases (which have their own problems).
given that this is what the program is designed to do, it does it very
well. But as part an integrated documentation project, at this stage
Toolbox is probably still more practical.

Claire