Two mics

Piers Kelly piers.kelly at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 14 00:29:06 UTC 2007

Hello. I'm posting this request on behalf of an anthro colleague in
northwest Australia:

I am interested in any advice that people can provide on microphones to
purchase for interview purposes.
We do a lot of interviews both one-on-one and group (up to say 10 people),
and both in-door and out-doors. A lot of the interviewing is on fieldtrips
so the context is relatively uncontrolable (and difficult to spend much time
on setup), it can also be hot as we are in a semi-arid area (up to 45
degrees though that's rare), and dusty.

So we are looking for a reasonably hardy and reasonably high quality
microphone. The biggest problem with sound quality in the past has been
wind, so any suggestions to help alleviate that would be great. We are
thinking of purchasing both a lapel (maybe wireless) and a small size stand
alone (desk-top or box top), which may, at times, be used together (we are
purchasing a Marantz recorder which has two audio inputs).

One which has been suggested for the desk-top is a Boundary Layer Mic. which
sounds good but does anyone know how it would go outdoors with ambient sound
etc.

Thanks,

Piers (on behalf of Jodi)