cheap as chips digital recorders

Sally Dixon wmcontractlinguist at KISSER.NET.AU
Tue Mar 20 08:40:06 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I know that most of us will have followed the 'spend the most you can'
principle when buying digital recording hardware. In most cases that
means we've availed ourselves of some fairly decent and equally
expensive gear. A friend of mine is looking for a cheap as chips
digital recorder to replace his old dictaphone-style model, as we can't
get the mini-tapes for it up here anymore. As this is for his personal
use he doesn't have a lot of money to spend (maybe only around $100),
but just doesn't want to end up with something with worse quality than
the dictaphone/mini-tape recorder.

I told him to wait until I'd asked around as he records language, songs
and important ceremonies with the recorder so if at all possible I want
to try to improve the quality of recordings since he has to buy a new
device anyway. He's also an old fella, though quite technologically
savvy, so something simple, or where the settings can be set and left
would be a bonus.

Can anyone recommend a cheap, portable digital voice recorder that
isn't completely nasty?

Many thanks,

Sally

Sally Dixon
Linguist

Wangka Maya Pilbara Aboriginal Language Centre
PO Box 2736 South Hedland WA 6722
Ph: (08) 91722344  Fax: (08) 91722355
www.wangkamaya.org.au