Recording Facilitated Meetings

Sascha Rixon s.rixon at PGRAD.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Fri May 18 06:31:27 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've just commenced a PhD exploring the language used by facilitators when
facilitating meetings, and I'd be really appreciative of some advice on
how best to record the meetings.

The meetings will involve a facilitator standing (and probably moving
around) in front of a group who will be sitting (and may also move around
and disband into small groups at times). The group may have up to 20
people.

I would like to audio-tape and video-record these meetings to capture the
spoken language and body language of the facilitator and the group.

I have access to audio and video-recording equipment in the School (not
sure what type) and a friend has a lapel mic that I was thinking of using
with the facilitator. I own a Sony ICD-MX20 digital recorder and a Yoga
omni directional boundary microphone.

Any advice on suitable equipment to use, positioning of the equipment,
etc. would be really appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Sascha