DVD authoring

Sarah Cutfield sarahcutfield at INBOX.COM
Mon Oct 29 05:14:09 UTC 2007

Dear all,

(apologies for cross-postings)

I am producing DVDs of language recordings to return to speakers I've worked with, and I would like your advice on suitable free DVD authoring software. I've had a google, but am overhwelmed by the options!

I am uploading video recorded on miniDV tapes into Final Cut Pro, which creates (large) Quicktime files in the uploading process. I can export the video from Final Cut Pro in various (compressed) formats. I typically export .mpg and .wav files for transcribing in ELAN.

I use a Macintosh and while iDVD is already installed, it only supports Quicktime movie files. Final Cut Pro does not compress Quicktime files, so these large Quicktime files become unwieldy - often larger than the capacity of a DVD.

Can anyone recommend a DVD authoring program which:
- is free (!);
- supports compressed video formats; and
- can be read on a DVD player - i.e. does not need to be read (viewed) on a computer?

Another alternative I haven't yet investigated is VCDs (CDs which can be read/viewed by a DVD player). Has anyone had any experience producing these?

Thanks,
Sarah Cutfield.