Elder Speaker issues

William J Poser wjposer at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Wed Apr 16 21:32:43 UTC 2008

A belated comment on the problem of speakers who hate each other.
I once worked in a community in which one of the best speakers
was someone whose name kept coming up but the people with whom
I was working in the office turned out not only to be unwilling
to invite him to the sessions but were quite unhappy with the
idea that he might turn up on his own. They were scared of him,
with some reason since he actually had shot a couple of people in
the past.

Eventually some of my friends, who were of the opinion that the
people he had shot needed shooting, as they say in Texas, took me
to meet him one evening. The next day he took me to his territory,
told me the names of places, etc. He didn't try to kill me even once.

Bill