Fwd: ELAN 3.6 available

Nick Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Thu Aug 14 16:47:28 UTC 2008

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Han Sloetjes <han.sloetjes at mpi.nl>
Date: 2008/8/15
Subject: ELAN 3.6 available
To: ELAN Discussion Group <elan at mpi.nl>

Dear all,

This is to announce the release of ELAN version 3.6.0.

In this release an Audio Recognizer framework has been implemented that
offers integrated, pattern recognition based, semi-automatic
segmentation and annotation. It is an extensible framework; others can
implement their own audio recognizers and add them to ELAN as
extensions. Included in this release is a Silence Recognizer that is
able to create segmentations based on silence vs. non-silence fragments
in a wave file. The output can be influenced by the user by providing
example "silence" segments (selections) and by choosing a minimal
duration for silence as well as for non-silence fragments. The resulting
segmentations can be converted to tiers and annotations.

Other new features are: merging of two adjacent annotations on the same
tier, merging of two tiers into a third tier, a "ticker" mode in the
timeline viewer, zooming to the selection and extension of the tier
statistics table.

A number of bugs have been fixed, mainly in import and export routines,
media playback and annotation creation.

As always, more details can be found in the release notes at
http://www.lat-mpi.eu/tools/elan/release-notes.html.

The "Third Party Resources" page has recently been updated with a bundle
to create "clickable stories", an XSL based way to display an ELAN file
as interactive webpage, and also with a how-to describing how to create
subtitled videos or DVD's from ELAN files.

A message for Mac users: this release will be the last one compatible
with Mac OS 10.3. We finally need to move to Java 5 (a.k.a 1.5, the
version of the programming language) and that's not available for Mac OS
10.3.

Best regards,

Han Sloetjes
-MPI for Psycholinguistics-

PS: recently a few spam messages have ended up on this list. We
apologize for that; we do our utmost to prevent this from happening.