videotaping a spoken lexicon

Doug Cooper doug.cooper.thailand at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 7 09:39:40 UTC 2008

Greetings.  I'm investigating means for recording a 'video lexicon' --
probably a citation form, followed by a couple of contextual phrases
-- for each of umpteen thousand words.  I have two questions.

    First, is there any software out there that will take as input a list
of words and phrases, then:

1.  visually prompt the speaker for each item, then
2.  survey the video (or, more likely, the sound track), either as it is
     being recorded or after, in order to produce a word-by-word
     time-stamp index?  The goal is to extract 1-second videos of
     individual words / phrases.

   Second, is there any 'best practice' for any aspect of this task; e.g.

1.  how to maintain reasonably constant speed and pitch,
2.  how to keep the speaker's head in one spot, and eyes uncrossed,
3.  how to best mix up input in order to avoid list-reading effects, etc.

    Thanks in advance,
    Doug Cooper