Zoom H2 recorder

Aidan Wilson aidan at USYD.EDU.AU
Mon Jan 21 23:54:56 UTC 2008

I would personally much prefer the ability to fine-tune the levels for
each channel, which makes it complicated with this device as there are
four internal mics and the possibility of four channels (or two stereo
files).

I'd have thought that for live music, which it seems this device was
designed for, the user would want to be able to turn down the mic(s)
that face(s) the drums as they'd normally be considerably louder. The
only other option after that, if the levels were matched for each mic,
would be to use an audio editing program to balance the gain, if you
have one loud speaker, one mumbler and (in my case) your loud self.

This isn't so bad, but to be able to finely adjust the levels
independently beforehand -  which, mind you, used to be absolutely the
case with all devices before the iNoun generation (hey, I just spotted a
snowclone) - is a real bonus.

Then again, it's a trade-off; the H2 is really cheap and if this is the
most serious problem, then it could easily be ignored.
> The 4 built-in microphones pick up every sound

Another good reason for always opting for a high-quality external
microphone, which, considering the mic is the first port of call after
the emission of any noise, deserves a fair amount of consideration.

> And, the recording level for the signal on the SD card is also
> adjustable, on a gradient scale.

Truth be known, I'm not sure what it means when it says 'on the SD
card', but yes, it does sound promising.

Aidan

--
Aidan Wilson

PARADISEC