mic for A$150 or less?

Aidan Wilson aidan at USYD.EDU.AU
Tue Jan 22 04:15:18 UTC 2008

You should be able to find a Sony ECM-MS957 stereo condenser for about
$150, which is pretty good value, if not the best mic on the market. We
have two and we use them often.

I personally have been using cheap microphones lately. I bought a pair
of matched Behringer C-2 condensers over a year ago (a hundred bucks for
the pair from Venue Music, or just about anywhere), which I mount on a
little boom that attaches to any mic stand, giving me a nice wide stereo
effect. They've worked fine for me so far. A problem would be finding a
dual 3-pin xlr cable to single stereo minijack; the 5-pin stereo to
stereo minijack is far more common. They also require phantom power as
there's no possibility to put in a battery, and there may be a problem
with splitting phantom power from the H2 down two separate cables (I
have actually no idea if this is even possible). If you got the H4
however (nudge nudge), it'd be a simple matter of two 3pin-to-3pin cables.

With all that in mind, the sony is probably the better choice to go with
the H2.

-Aidan

--
Aidan Wilson