Fw: Language exhibitions in Australia

Theresa Savage TSavage at GROUPWISE.SWIN.EDU.AU
Mon Jun 30 11:11:06 UTC 2008

Dear Adriano and all,

There is an exhibition on the languages and dialects of Japan, including Ainu, in the Ethnographic Museum (Minzoku Hakubutsukan or 'Minpaku') in Osaka Japan http://www.minpaku.ac.jp/museum/exhibition/language/index.html
I just did a quick search and found that most of Minpaku's website is only available in Japanese.

The Historical Museum of Hokkaido includes some Kamuy Yukar (Ainu Epic Poetry) in their extensive exhibition (it plays automatically as you walk up to look at an Ainu 'cise' (traditional house) http://www.hmh.pref.hokkaido.jp/english/E_jouten/E_theme2/E_theme2.htm

The Nitbutani Ainu Museum contains numerous videos that visitors can sit down and play. At least one of those is of Ainu language lessons. They also have a hologram display of a hearth. Ainu singing is included with the hologram display. The website doesn't really let you see how moving the displays in this museum are http://www.ainu-museum-nibutani.org/

The Ainu Museum in Shiraoi (Shiraoi Poroto Kotan) has live performances (one an hour) of Ainu singing and dancing http://www.ainu-museum.or.jp/english/english.html
There is a You-Tube site of a performance from Shiraoi, but I couldn't get it to download when I tried it. You might have better luck www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCb1fhq-C6s

The Ainu museum in Asahikawa, Hokkaido (Kawamura Kaneto Ainu Kinenkan) also has live performances of Ainu songs and dances during the warmer (and busy) summer months.  There is also a DVD (or video) of the Bear Ceremony ('Iyomante'). The Bear Ceremony includes singing in Ainu with dancing.  I don't think there is a website for this small (privately run) museum.

None of the websites do the museums that include (or focus exclusively on) Ainu justice. I can't find any of the sound files available online, but if you go into the museums, you can get the full experience.

Theresa

>>> Peter Austin <pa2 at soas.ac.uk> 30/06/2008 8:06 pm >>>
We did an exhibition in London three years ago called "Endangered Voices" - see http://www.hrelp.org/events/endangeredvoices/ It consisted of a series of thematic panels and a full wall map of endangered languages, and was done in collaboration with a sound artist, John Wynne, who had a parallel exhibition of his creative work called "Hearing Voices". We produced a CD-ROM in connection with the exhibition.

Peter