fwd, Re: Elder Speaker issues

Terry J. Klokeid klokeid at VICTORIA.TC.CA
Thu Mar 20 22:39:17 UTC 2008

fwd

Gunalchéesh, háw'aa, doykshn, dogidinh, qag^aasakung, quyana, thank
you, Terry, for raising this issue on this forum.

Probably each of us can remember an occasion when a listener sneered
at our wrong word choice or pronunciation; that felt bad. How about
having your hand smacked with a ruler for speaking the only language
you know; how about having your mouth washed out with soap for
talking with your friends in your language; how about being stuffed
in the coal bin on your 7th birthday in your white shirt on your
first day of school for using your language; how about being banned
from the high school dance for joking with your friends on the
playground in your language; how about having your teachers berate
your parents in class for their language; how about being whipped for
talking in your language; how about as an adult not being able to
enter a dormitory bathroom alone because of what happened to you as a
youth in your boarding school: how about having your food denied
because you speak in your language; how about seeing your mother
hung, dying for speaking her language? How bad would that feel?

My current understanding of parents not teaching their children their
ancestral languages is that they did so for the children's
protection, protection from the physical/emotional/psychological
abuse the parents received for using their language. I write
"physical/emotional/psychological" without breaks because abuse in
one area has repercussions in the others, evidence of their unity.

Neurolinguists identify brain locations devoted to specific language
functions and find evidence that brain circuitry separates one
language from another. To drastically oversimplify, imagine the
neural superhighway leading to (or from) the mental circuitry of
one's ancestral language being blocked by emotionally induced
chemicals and physical atrophy. Can this account for speakers and
understanders being physically/emotionally/psychologically unable to
talk?

I agree with Bill Poser that education (an intellectual gain of
facts) about language acquisition, bilingualism, and the intricacy,
beauty, full expressability, and critical world views embodied in
indigenous languages can be helpful in encouraging people to talk.
But FIRST, and then continuously with other activities, can Language
Healing take place? Safe talking circles and sweats with trusted
leaders may help speakers and fluent understanders talk for the first
time about their personally damaging experiences and come to terms
with the pains of fear, anger, guilt and grief so that more can go
forward with their languages.

While I have been told that many communities "down south" (outside
Alaska) are engaged in language healing, I know specifically of only
one such group who have done so, facilitated by Victor and Joyce
Underwood, Saanich, from Saanichton near Victoria, BC, Canada.

Does anyone else have Language Healing experience?

Gil dodo iy,
Alice Taff

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 8:09 PM, Terry J. Klokeid