Master Apprentice in Australia

Sally Dixon wmcontractlinguist at KISSER.NET.AU
Wed May 7 06:24:42 UTC 2008

Hi Margaret,

I recall the presentation by Peter Sutton and Pat McConvell at the
Indigenous Languages conference last year referring to some MA
activities in their Cape York Peninsula Language Documentation project
- but I think they didn't talk about them because their co-presenter
Clair Hill wasn't there to give details?? Can anyone confirm this?

Also, as you will recall your Masters student Rina Takahashi did do a
pilot Master-Apprentice project up here with Yinhawangka people - but
I have to report that unfortunately we haven't yet developed this into
a full program.

Another lead might be the Kimberley language centre. When they visited
us last year they were talking about getting this sort of thing going.

I would love to see MA take off in Australia. I'll be very interested
to see feedback from others.

Sally

On 07/05/2008, at 1:46 PM, Margaret Florey wrote:

> Dear RNLD-ers,
>
> Does anyone know of examples of the Master-Apprentice Program being
> used
> with Australian Indigenous languages? I know it's been recommended for
> use (in NILS, and in relation to NSW languages), and I'd appreciate
> hearing of any cases.
>
> best wishes,
> Margaret
>
> --
> Dr Margaret Florey
> Senior Lecturer
> Linguistics Program
> School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics
> Monash University
> Victoria 3800
> Australia
> Tel: +61 (0)3 9905-2237
> Fax: +61 (0)3 9905-5437
> Email: Margaret.Florey at arts.monash.edu.au
> Home page: http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/linguistics/staff/mflorey.php
>
> Studies in Language Endangerment
> Web Site: http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/ling/pglangen/
>
> Maluku Endangered Languages Project
> Email: Maluku at arts.monash.edu.au
> Fax: +61 (0)3 9905-8492
> Web Site http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/ling/maluku/

Sally Dixon
Linguist

Wangka Maya Pilbara Aboriginal Language Centre
PO Box 2736 South Hedland WA 6722
Ph: (08) 91722344 Fax: (08) 91722355
www.wangkamaya.org.au