Master Apprentice in Australia

Patrick McConvell Patrick.McConvell at AIATSIS.GOV.AU
Wed May 7 22:00:20 UTC 2008

As a PS to this, and my other message, this paper mentioned by Sally is something that Clair Hill and I have been working on, on 'Emergency Language Documentation Teams' focussing on work done in Cape York Peninsula. We hope to get it into some journal this year. It is not centrally about M-A although that was mentioned, and language learning strategies used in CYP were somewhat different.

Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Sally Dixon [mailto:wmcontractlinguist at kisser.net.au]
Sent: Wed 5/7/2008 4:24 PM
To: Margaret Florey
Cc: Resource-Network-Linguistic-Diversity at unimelb.edu.au
Subject: Re: Master Apprentice in Australia

Hi Margaret,

I recall the presentation by Peter Sutton and Pat McConvell at the
Indigenous Languages conference last year referring to some MA
activities in their Cape York Peninsula Language Documentation project
- but I think they didn't talk about them because their co-presenter
Clair Hill wasn't there to give details?? Can anyone confirm this?

Also, as you will recall your Masters student Rina Takahashi did do a
pilot Master-Apprentice project up here with Yinhawangka people - but
I have to report that unfortunately we haven't yet developed this into
a full program.

Another lead might be the Kimberley language centre. When they visited
us last year they were talking about getting this sort of thing going.

I would love to see MA take off in Australia. I'll be very interested
to see feedback from others.

Sally

On 07/05/2008, at 1:46 PM, Margaret Florey wrote:

> Dear RNLD-ers,
>
> Does anyone know of examples of the Master-Apprentice Program being
> used
> with Australian Indigenous languages? I know it's been recommended for
> use (in NILS, and in relation to NSW languages), and I'd appreciate
> hearing of any cases.
>
> best wishes,
> Margaret
>
> --
> Dr Margaret Florey
> Senior Lecturer
> Linguistics Program
> School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics
> Monash University
> Victoria 3800
> Australia
> Tel: +61 (0)3 9905-2237
> Fax: +61 (0)3 9905-5437
> Email: Margaret.Florey at arts.monash.edu.au
> Home page: http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/linguistics/staff/mflorey.php
>
> Studies in Language Endangerment
> Web Site: http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/ling/pglangen/
>
> Maluku Endangered Languages Project
> Email: Maluku at arts.monash.edu.au
> Fax: +61 (0)3 9905-8492
> Web Site http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/ling/maluku/

Sally Dixon
Linguist

Wangka Maya Pilbara Aboriginal Language Centre
PO Box 2736 South Hedland WA 6722
Ph: (08) 91722344 Fax: (08) 91722355
www.wangkamaya.org.au